Thursday, February 7, 2013

Help! I have no Mom Friends, is it important and how can I make some?

It is completely true that once you have a baby you will never go back to  the person you were pre-baby. Your life revolves around your Little One and as they start getting older you want to cultivate friends for them but what do you do if you have no mom friends.

I am in this situation, a lot of my friends do not have babies and therefore I feel a slight disconnect because this little person has me changed so much. I have never been one to require a lot of friends but since having K, I want to cultivate more relationships with fellow moms.

K had her first playdate with a friend of mine's daughter, the experience was nice for the babies but even better for the moms. Its a time to vent, asks for opinions on all things baby. In fact, we spent the majority talking about our little ones from diaper brand preferences to how many times a week we bathe them.

It was nice, having a familiar friend in the situation but of course I want K to have maximum exposure to babies. So I began looking for ways to meet other moms and I have had some mild success in meeting new people. I come from a background in Career Services and the single handed best way to land a job is to NETWORK. Well, I have taken that same philosophy and am networking my way into a few groups

1. Signed up for Living Social and Groupon
I signed up for both services before baby to go to restaurants and do adventurous things. However, I noticed that one offered a baby sensory class which engages her to play using all of her sensory. We attended the class and met a few other  moms and made a contact with a mom, who has a facebook group.

2. Facebook
There are several mom related groups on Facebook. The group I am a member of is a private group so locations, details cannot be seen. I have noticed that they have yet to do a meetup but at least I am in the loop.

3. Meetup.com
Similar to Facebook, there are several groups on their and meetsup are encouraged. K and I have our first meet up today at a local park. I will let you know how it goes.

All in all, its a bit awkward to build relations with random strangers. However, I have noticed that it is good to get out of my comfort zone and expose my daughter to new experiences.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment