Monday, June 17, 2013

Income divided by two

Here we go again.

Anyone who works in Corporate America or for someone else knows the constant fear of being let go. Well my household as experienced this for the second time in 9 mos. This has made me the primary breadwinner for a family of three. We did all the right things as we had an initial warning of this but have had to make some changes.

I am fortunate my salary can cover expenses with some "breathing" room, that my job is in career services/recruiting and we live frugally. There will be no major lifestyle changes but nonetheless all variable costs and excessive spending will be cut. Here are some changes :


  • Packing Lunch, Coffee and Snacks- I am notorious for eating out, drive thru but know that I need to cut back and save that money for when we have team lunches.
  • Limiting Driving
  • Cutting back on entertainment expenses 
  • Using groupon/livingsocial to have some "planned fun"
  • Meal Planning
What I learned is that it can be tough but knowing that better opportunities are out there will get you through tough times. Also enjoy spending time with family and using this time to do free activities like parks, beaches and exercising.

Do you have any frugal ideas to help during this transition?

No comments:

Post a Comment