Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Introducing your Dog to your Newborn

Before Baby K there was Baby Luke the furry Cockapoo. My husband and I got Luke as gift for Valentines Day so it was all him for a year and a half.

Once I found out I was pregnant, one of my biggest concerns was how Luke would react to the baby. Our cockapoo is loving and loyal but did I mention he is also a hyper show off who needs his time. He also sleeps in the room with us under the bed and I was terrified he would harm the baby. I began reading feverishly about how to introduce a Furry Friend to your Newborn.

So we came up with the following action plan

  • Split up the walking duties from strictly me to my husband as well so he wouldn't be jealous of me spending so much time with baby.
  • Mother in law brought home baby blanket so he could get smell.
  • Let him sniff the newborn so it would be out of his system.
  • Let someone other than mom introduce baby.
  • Never leave baby unsupervised with the dog.

Overall, you have to know the temperament of your dog and how much is too much. The day we brought home the baby, Luke sniffed her car seat and was more interested in seeing me as he was very concerned when I left him. He did cry a few times when she cried. 

Fast forward 3 months, he is very protective of Baby K and sometimes gets a little to close to her play mat. However, I can say with 95 percent confidence that he would never harm her but still is not left alone with her ever.

How was introducing your pet to your Baby?

No comments:

Post a Comment