Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Baby has what...Torticollis??

You spend 9 months (in my case 40 weeks and 3 days) hoping and praying that your baby will be perfect. In fact, I had several dreams that my baby would come out looking like an alien. I worried that I wasn't showing like a 9 month pregnant woman then something must be wrong.

Fast forward to when Ms. K was born, she had all ten toes and ten fingers, two eyes, one nose, well you get the point. She was perfectly healthy 6lbs 6oz little girl. I was relieved that she looked normal.

However at about 5 weeks, I began noticing something strange, she favored her right side, only looked to the left and her head never looked even on her neck. I decided maybe she needed time to develop and I would ask at the 2mos check up. At the check up, I showed the doctor and she explained my baby may have  congenital torticollis.

Basically, from the doctor's explanation and my hours of research on the Internet its a stiff neck. How the heck do you get congenital torticollis ? Well, you're born with it, some babies wedge themselves in a certain angle in the womb and therefore the muscles stiffen. This makes sense as my lil one every time we did an exam was always in the same position. She put herself head down from about 22 weeks and I guess she stayed that way.

So I took Ms. K to the physical therapist who confirmed the diagnosis and stated that with regular exercise she will be fine. Now I diligently, massage her neck, make sure she doesn't just look to the left or right.

The physical therapist says that it will take about 6 months to correct. I have been exercising for two weeks and so far a big difference she now looks right.

All in all, if she has to have something wrong, I am thankful its something like this and we caught it early.


No comments:

Post a Comment