Sunday, May 5, 2013

Homemade Baby Food

As a parent, I could not wait until we got to the solid food stage. I couldn't wait for my baby to experience taste, textures and flavors. I felt like I was reliving this experience through baby K. I decided after thorough research to make her baby food from scratch and well that is exactly what I done.

I realized that making baby food is fast, easy and frugal.

1. Every Sunday, I get enough produce for baby and this is what my shopping list looks like

  • Bunch of bananas
  •  2 sweet potatoes
  • 2 Pears
  • 2 Apples
  • avocado
  • 1 peach
2. I bring home produce and wash it thoroughly to remove any dirt and impurities. The next step is to peel of all skins and then wash each fruit or veggie again.

3. Steam all veggies and fruits (banana and avocado are good to go with out cooking). I use my rice cooker and steam all fruits and veggies until they are tender.

4. Blend steamed veggies/fruits and water to make purees.

5. Freeze veggies in ice tray and store.

I have gotten into the habit of making sweet potato my go to food because I can make a bunch on Sunday and heat them throughout the week. I make fruits every 2-3 days and rotate the fruits or blend them together.

It seems like it may be more work but it is cost effective and I know that she is not getting unneeded fillers and sugars.

I know that she may not keep the health lifestyle up forever but its the least I can do.

I found this site that is quiet helpful wholesomebabyfood.com

What types of baby food do you make?

No comments:

Post a Comment